Friday, May 18, 2012

I Am Not A Minority

I was reading this article: Census: Minority babies are now majority in United States
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/census-minority-babies-are-now-majority-in-united-states/2012/05/16/gIQA1WY8UU_story.html

And I thought....when is the media, the government, the country going to stop using the word "minority" when speaking about Latinos?

There are more than 50+ million Latinos in the United States. Many of them (so large in numbers) are the majority in several cities/neighborhoods in this country.

I think it would be more descriptive, appropriate to describe Latinos as the majority (depending on the market where the story or information is coming from) or the emerging majority.

According to the dictionary minority means:
-less than
-smaller in size and/or importance
-subordinate to a more dominant group

I don't know about the 50+ million Latinos in the U.S., but I am not less than anyone.

Minority is a racist word used to control a person's way of thinking (about themselves or towards others).
Here's a very good article about it:
http://voices.yahoo.com/the-m-word-why-term-minority-outdated-unfair-7372278.html?cat=9

Wouldn't it have been better for the Washington Post to use People of Color instead of Minority in the title of it's article?

Hey, I'm not reinventing the wheel here...the debate over the word minority is nothing new:
http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/news/newsbyidfront.asp?id=6112
Good for you San Diego!

So...my plead (especially to all my friends and colleagues in media (English and Spanish): Please stop using the word minority when describing Latinos (or any ehtnic community).

Change begins with us. We (Latinos) have been brain washed into labeling ourselves something that we are clearly not and that is -- less than anything or anyone. Don't use minority to describe yourself.

I invite any person (particularly Anglo) to take a walk with me through The Bronx, Miami-Dade County, Los Angeles County, Houston and the many other cities and neighborhoods - and then for them to tell me "who is the minority?"

I am Hugo Balta, a proud Peruvian-American, Latino - the emerging majority in the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment